I suggest you ...

Hide iOS 8 widget when no timer is set/active

First of all, this is a really wonderful app! Congratulations. But there is one little thing that could be made better: The iOS 8 widget.

The widget itself is a really cool and helpful feature, but it would be even better to integrate an option to hide the widget if no timer is set or active. This way the user could decide if he wants the widget constantly showing up, or just if there is a timer set/active. Therefore the notification center would be not so cluttered if there is no timer.

Thanks,
Chris

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JoelJoel commented  · 

That's too bad. Hoping that is not the case, and that this app is still being developed.

• JeremyJeremy commented  · 

Joel, I don't think so. I was also hoping that "under review" seems to be a good sign. But unfortunately there seems no progress on this. As I'm not using the widget any more I moved on to the app "Timer 7", which also has no widget, but is much more user friendly. Sorry Timeless, you had your chance!

Jeremy, over and out....

• JoelJoel commented  · 

Do the devs ever comment here? Just curious. Would love if they will be able to implement. If the widget were able to be totally hidden when no timer is active, I'd keep it in the top position.

• JoelJoel commented  · 

Jeremy, I totally hear what you are saying, and agree. My comments were more along the lines of 'if the developers won't implement that, then at least make it more useful' :)

Joel, thank you for your idea. I see your point, but I would kindly ask the developers to implement also an option to completely hide the widget if it is not in use. Because the "today view" originally is for most of the people (including me) a place where they can quickly preview and review what is going on at the moment and later that day, not a place to start apps. And to use the today view as described it should be as clear as possible. Anything which is not in use does not belong to the today view in my opinion.

Nevertheless, if someone wants to use the today view as a kind of app launcher or to remember and not forget about apps like timeless, this could be more efficiently done be using a specific launcher app like "Launcher" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/launcher-notification-center/id905099592). These apps can already implement a launcher bar in the widget area, which is in my eyes more efficient regarding the covered space and functionality, as you can add up to ten shortcuts to apps, contacts,... in a really small amount of space.

I think it is often better to have specific highly specialized rather than trying to implement a "swiss army knife".

Regards,
        Jeremy

• JoelJoel commented  · 

An additional comment: I can imagine that the developers don't want the widget totally gone when there is no active timers. What is the phrase, 'out of sight, out of mind'? However, the widget could be made more useful in this state. Perhaps a button to launch the app. Perhaps an option have certain times always appear, even if not running, with the ability to start the timer from the widget.

The bottom line remains though, which is when no timers are running, the widget could be improved.

Absolutely essential for a good widget. If there is nothing to display, the widget does not need to block any space in my "today view". Just keep iOS nice and clean.

Best idea ever! Thanks Chris!

• JoelJoel commented  · 

Love this idea. But should definitely be an option.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

That's a really great idea! I second that.
        Martin

Feedback and Knowledge Base